Check strength of Deuba and Poudel as NC elects new leadership in 30 districts
KATHMANDU: The ruling Nepali Congress (NC) has elected the new leadership of the party for the next five years as a part of the 14th General Convention of the party in 30 districts of the total of 77.
The establishment faction led by President Sher Bahadur Deuba, who is also the incumbent prime minister, has so far claimed victory for the presidential positions in 17 districts while 13 other district presidents are considered close to the opposition faction led by senior leader Ram Chandra Poudel.
The result showed that the Deuba faction registered victory in eight districts where the Poudel faction had won in the 13th General Convention.
It is to be noted that as many as 17 district presidents, who were elected in the 13th General Convention, were considered close to senior leader Poudel. Similarly, the Deuba panel registered victory in 12 districts. The establishment faction has emerged strong in Province 1 and Karnali provinces.
The party is yet to elect the leadership in 40 other districts.
On the other hand, the Poudel faction has snatched the leadership from the rival faction in five districts.
Where Poudel faction loses the command of the district presidents
1. Dolpa: Dipendra Bahadur Shahi (Angat Kumar Budha won in last convention)
2. Jumla: Karnaa Bahadur Shahi (Dip Bahadur Shahi won in last convention)
3. Lamjung: Dr Tak Raj Gurung (Bhesh Bahadur Poudel won in last convention)
4. Panchthar: Rup Narayan Jawegu (Narendra Kumar Kerung won in last convention)
5. Salyan: Kesh Bahadur Bista (Ganesh Chand won in last convention)
6. Ramechhap: Kanchha Ram Tamang (Laba Shree Neupane won in last convention)
7. Mugu: Ain Bahadur Shahi (Khadga Bahadur Sahi won in last convention)
Where Deuba faction stays undefeated
1. Dadeldhura: Bhim Bahadur Saud
2. Manang: Tek Bahadur Gurung
3. Humla: Mohan Bikram Singh
4. Taplejung: Gajendra Tumhyang
5. Myagdi: Kham Bahadur Garbuja
6. Bajhang: Khadak Bohora
7. Jajarkot: Bedraj Singh
8. Doti: Narendra Singh
9. Okhaldhunga: Tejendra Khanal
10. Rukum (West): Prem Prakash Oli
Where Poudel faction emerges as new power
1. Rukum (East): Keshar Man Roka
It is to be noted that Rukum (East) was one of the two districts added during Nepal’s political restructuring in the Constitution of Nepal in 2015. Roka was named the coordinator of the young district after the country adopted the federal structure.
2. Dolakha : Barma Lama (former president: Rudra Bahadur Khadka)
3. Bajura: Ram Singh Rawal (contender: Kabi Raj Pandit)
4. Gorakha: Nanda Prasad Neupane (former president: Hari Bahadur Ghale)
Where Poudel faction remains intact
1. Baitadi: Chatur Bahadur Chand
2. Bhojpur : Binod Bantawa
3. Pyuthan: Bishnu Kumar Giri
4. Arghakhanchi: Keshab Shrestha
5. Mustang: Romi Gauchan Thakali
6. Sankhuwasabha: Dipak Khadka
7. Kalikot: Ammar Bahadur Shahi
8. Rolpa: Kishor Acharya
9. Tehrathum: Arjun Tumbahamfe